Our River
 Our Bridges
Our Bridges
Home Our River Our Bridges

Anderson Bridge
Named after Sir John Anderson, Governor of the Straits Settlements, Anderson Bridge was built in 1910 as Cavenagh Bridge was unable to the stone plaque cope with the increasing traffic.

Alkaff Bridge
The Alkaff Bridge's multicoloured facade is a result of one month of painstaking work by late artist, Pacita Abad who passed on 10 months after the completion of the project.

Benjamin Sheares Bridge
This bridge named after the Republic of Singapore's second head of State. It is the imposing via duct links the east and west coasts of the island.

Cavenagh Bridge
Built in 1869, the bridge was named in honour of Colonel Cavenagh, the last India-appointed Governor of Singapore.

Clemenceau Bridge
Completed in 1920, Clemenceau Bridge was named after French Prime Minister Mousier Georges Clemenceau who visited Singapore that same year.

Coleman Bridge
First built in 1840 as a brick bridge, Coleman Bridge was named after its architect, George Drumgold Coleman, an Irishman who came to Singapore in 1826.

Elgin Bridge
This was completed in 1929 and named after the then governor General of India, Lord Elgin. As this was the first bridge to be built across the River, the two roads leading to it were named North Bridge Road and South Bridge Road accordingly.

Esplanade Bridge
Construction of this 260m long bridge across the mouth of the Singapore River began in early 1994 and was completed in 1997. The low level concrete arched bridge have seven spans and supports two four-lane carriageways and wide walkways along both side.

Helix Bridge
Pairs of the letters "c" and "g", as well as "a" and "t" decorate the bridge and are lit up at night in red and green to represent cytosine, guanine, adenine and thymine, the four bases of DNA.

Ord Bridge
Ord Bridge was constructed in 1886 and was dedicated to the memory of the first governor of the Straits Settlement to be appointed by the Colonial office in London, Sir Henry St. George Ord.

Pulau Saigon Bridge
The original Pulau Saigon Bridge was built in 1890, but demolished in 1986. The reason for the demolition was that the Bridge was too old and it blocked the development of Central Expressway.

Read Bridge
Built in 1889 to replace the Merchant Bridge, the Read Bridge was the initiative of a famous businessman William Henry Read, a Scotsman who came to Singapore in 1841.